April 22, 2010

Flashback

Flashback
Extract from Canada World Youth Electronic Bulletin - Citizen of the World - April 2010

Elise Renaud & Manuel Novio

"When she left for Canada tears fell." That is the description Elise Renaud's host family member Nanay Naning Fuentes-Trani, gave as the Canadian departed her remote village in the Philippines in 1981. "Some shouted, 'Will you come back?'"

Most CWY participants imagine themselves returning to their host communities but it's not that often that it happens. In this case, it did: 28 years later.

Elise Renaud and Manuel Novio (Manitoba- Philippines 1981) returned to Barangay Bato, a small village by the sea on Biliran Island. They went to this place that Elise describes as "probably the most beautiful place" she ever had seen to celebrate their host parent's 50th wedding anniversary.

Elise reconnected with her counterpart, Manuel Novio, now professor and former Dean of the College of Agriculture at the University of Rizal System, by searching for him on a university website where she thought he worked. She hadn't talked to him since their program ended and credits the internet for finding him. "In three days I found him. I didn't know miracles like that existed." Neither of the pair had returned to "Bato" since their program ended nor had they stayed in touch.

"Seeing Elise after 28 years and her looking for me is quite a dramatic happening in my life. I thought no one would bother to look for me after all those years, and then here is Elise calling me on my cell phone and saying that she will come to the Philippines once more trying to look for me" says Novio. "I thought she was joking!"

Elise admits she always wanted to plan a trip back, but had mixed feelings on going alone. "I would've been afraid to go back, without Manuel Novio. I would've been afraid not to be remembered. You don't know if the way you felt was as significant for the other people around you."

Irene Trani Bushnell was 11 years old when Elise arrived in the Philippines in 1981, to live with her family. They became fast friends: "Initially it was very difficult for me to understand why Elise at her age did not really know how to cook food by the fire or hand wash clothes like we did. Then I heard about the machines the Canadian households used. It was an eye opener!" Bushnell was responsible for sending out the 50th wedding anniversary invitations and, now living in Australia, tracked down Elise to invite her. To this day, Manuel has been their "Kuya Manny", their eldest brother, their model. "He is kind, good mannered, showing us good behavior" Irene said.

Welcomed warmly upon their arrival, Elise and Manuel, accompanied by his wife Amelia, fully participated in the anniversary celebration, doling out photos from their first visit, making speeches and even singing. Upon their departure, for the second time, they realized that the Bato community's philosophy was "when someone enters a family, they stay there and are really a part of the family forever". We knew we would keep in our heart forever the extended Trani family, this community and this beautiful place.

Now back in Montreal, Elise has not only kept in contact with the community of Biliran, renewed friendships with her counterpart as well as with many Pilipino ex-participants and their families, but has also teamed up with fellow alumni Zaida Padullo, Principal of Holy Spirit National High School in Quezon City, Philippines. Together they have started working with the Ayala Foundation to fund activities for youth with the goal of fostering empowerment and pride within their individual communities. "When I was over there, I realized that children in an unfortunate position can't go to museums to get to know the beauty of their own heritage". She believes there is an intrinsic value in building confidence and hopes that by helping others she can give back to the community, as much as the community gave to her.

2 comments:

  1. Comments :Flash back
    I really enjoy reading this story, I wish I could do the same... I was a participant of CWY Malaysia/Manitoba 1979/80.
    If only my counterpart (Breckin Mc Leen of Nova Scotia or Ian Smith of Toronto) can get intouch with me... I really looking forward to visit my family in Hamiota, Manitoba.

    Coments: Elise Renaud & Manuel Novio
    Good luck to Elise and Novio, most CWY participants cherish returning to their host families and communities. Is it not wonderful that they have not only returned but have also started working with the Ayala Foundation to fund activities for youth with the goal of fostering empowerment and pride within their individual communities. That's what is expected of a trained CWY participant, to care and share with their fellow man and woman their skills and knowhow. So all thanks and praises go to them. I hope all of us will emulate Elise and Novio.
    Suwaibou Touray
    1974- 75 particpant
    Gambia

    Comments: meetings
    more than 20 years...
    That happens in others countries, like Costa Rica.
    Our group Costa Rica-Quebec 1987-1988, we made a meeting also with almost all of the costarricans participants, and we contacted others canadien participants.
    This activity was so greatiful for us. Is that for we recomended for another participants programs of CWY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous
    - Nice to have seen these pictures. Reminds me of my dear old friend's. More power Elise.

    Jacynthe Cauvier
    2010-04-22 @ 00:52 Long Life to CWY
    I am glad to read stories like the one of Elise and Novio. This is very inspiring and I hope, will encourage a lot more alumni-CWY from all over the World to have this courage to get in touch with their host-family and conterpart and meet them.

    I did BC-Zhengzhou,China 04-05, and thanks to this great CWY program, I am still in China now, fluent in Mandarin and enjoying my everyday life in this mysterious country. Without my CWY experience, my life would definitely be a lot different. I still keep in touch with some of the Chinese and Canadian participants. Hopefully being able to organise a reunion in the next few years. I am sure that all of us will be glad to do so.

    Of course, such of an intense & rich adventure and experience will be there in the memory of EACH participant for a lifetime!!! @_@

    ReplyDelete