July 1, 2009

Ayala Museum - gold from the past - Encore le 25 juin - Still the 25th of June

Je me promenais avec mon nouveau collier - heureuse - le coeur léger et serein et soudain, l'affiche d'une exposition a attiré mon attention.... Gold of Ancestors - Pre-colonial treasures of the Phillipines - Ayala Museum.

I had to go. It was as important as breathing. I could not say why or even care. I had to go and be touched. There was nothing I could do against the desire to learn more, to taste history itself and to become part of it.

What I saw was a revelation! Like discovering something you always knew deep within - the richness of the Philippines civilization before the Spanish came.

For most Pinoy (filipino) the history of their country starts with Magellan's "discovery" (How could you claim to "discover" something that already existed ?). For most of Pinoy, around the time the Spanish came their society was primitive. There was something wrong with that picture, something that does'nt fit.
If they were so primitive, how come they were able to push back Magellan's men (even killing Magellan himself). These Spanish men had the most advanced technology of the time (boats, armor, cannons, swords, etc.). But they were defeated by what was suppose to be a primitive society ??? this did not make sense.

Finally, there was something, a glimpse at what was then a florishing society - with writing on gold plates, jewelry, ceremonial gears, etc. A rich society with tradition, knowledge and something to be pride of.

Ear what they say of the gold exhibits:

"More than one thousand gold objects celebrates the sophisticated cultures that existed in the Philippines before colonization in the 16th century. Many of the precious objects were recovered in association with tenth to thirteenth century Chinese export ceramics. Similarities in form and iconography with artifacts of other Southeast Asian cultures affirm regional affinities and inter-island contacts that flourished in these archipelagic crossroads of civilizations. Adornments of elite individuals and their deities include a spectacular array of golden sashes, necklaces, pectorals, diadems, earrings and finger rings, bracelets, and anklets. Here, the role of archaeology in reconstructing the past is illuminated, demonstrating how funerary offerings become valuable sources of information for subsequent generations of the living."

Unfortunatly, we are not allowed to take pictures inside the musem. I would had loved to show you the beauties of the jewelry. Sorry !

The hilipino civilisation that produced these objects was extremely advanced. These objects are as beautiful as the antiquities of Egypt or old Rome.

I saw the reproduction of a book by the Spanish depicting the people and the way they lived at the time of the meeting of these two worlds. What I saw was exquisite, depicting a complex society where jewelry was a sign showing status and power.

Some of the objects depicted in the book were right before my eyes, in real.... Wow!

I saw diadems, wore by women of the region of Leyte (close to Bato, Biliran). They were like delicate origami gold art work!

I saw, huge gold chains wore by men across their chest, at the end a symbol of power (not sure what is was). I would need to read on the subject. I never saw such beautiful gold chain. I would love to find a miniature version for myself or something inspired by it.

I saw a gold tablet with the original writing of the people of the Philippines. There is a dance of words on the gold. It is beautiful to look at. Apparently, the Spanish destroyed most of the writings of the Philippines pretending it was the writings of the devil... and, most of it was on bamboo sticks attached togheter, it did not survived time.

I have to know more about this exceptionnal heritage.

As part of me is somewhat of a Philipina, I am pround of it and need to learn from it. I would wish that people know more and appreciate what is right before their eyes. The Philippines are beautiful.

http://www.ayalamuseum.org/index.php?option=com_ayala_content&task=viewexhibitpage&id=14

No comments:

Post a Comment