July 2, 2009

Message of Zaida - Just to let you know how you are sorely missed

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Zaida Padullo wrote:

DEar Elise,

I was so happy to read your blog and thank you you appreciated our friendship. Me and Mary Hope cannot thank you enough for the wonderful person that you are. Your three days stay with my family opened my eyes to a lot of realizations including my own need to know more about my country's history. I thought, history is the responsibility of the Social Studies teachers and the head of that department. Never did i realize, that we will never be able to love much and be proud of our own country if we do not know our rich culture, if our knowledge of our history are restricted to the discovery of our country by Magellan and who became the leaders after.

More than this, i was even more amused with your love for the people in this side of the world and it gives me now a feeling of security in who i am, because you Elise, made us so proud to be Filipinos. Looking back, i smiled at the thought of you getting sick by eating at least 14 mangoes in two hours. Your love for langka, kinilaw, adobo and even spending on an expensive Barong when we Filipinos are crazy with the corporate attire you western people wear to the office are sweet memories that will pleasantly haunt me in my sleep.

Thank you Elise, you have taught me lessons in life that will make me a better person, and sure a better citizen of this country. How many more Elise will wake us up for taking for granted our rich culture and heritage? it is not yet too late for us Filipinos.

Missing you my friend,

Zaida

1 comment:

  1. Zaida, you are one of those who made Elise's stay in the Philippines more memorable. Your generosity and hospitality is unbelievable! What you went through in life has made you more humane and more giving... God has indeed bless you coz HE saw how hard you tried to make a life. I am also very proud of you. You nag Romy have done so much for us when we were there. Hope we can return the favor in the future. Love you Zaids!!! From Mary Hope, the "Papa Bear"...

    ReplyDelete