May 30, 2009

Salamat po Irene (Trani) Bushnell

Let me just go back from the start....
All of this endeavour was made possible because of one person : Irene (Trani) Bushnell. She is the one who searched for Manuel and I so many years after our stay in Bato. She is the one who invited us back for the 50th wedding anniversary of her parents.

At the time I had lost contact for so many years with both Manuel and the people of Bato. Irene, thank you for renewing these intense relationships!

Salamat po !

In 1981, you were 11 years old. A very curious and intelligent young girl. I remember how much you wanted to learn from life. When you called me a few months ago, you mentioned that you kept the handbag I gave you before I left for Canada, and that you used it for your entire schooling. You even remembered the color crayons I gave you. It was very touching to hear your voice letting me know that a brief stay in her community had such an impact in her life. It was so touching to hear that people on the other side of the earth would remember me after almost 3 decades !

I'm sorry I have been the first white person most of you had knowed. I might not be the best example...

But one thing is for sure I am very glad that the contact has been renewed.
It feels as if I was here yesterday.

Seeing Bato, your family and Manuel has been a beautiful gift.

Salamat po Ate Irene!

Elise


Merci à toi, Irene (Trani)Bushnell
Laissez-moi vous raconter comment cet aventure a commencée. Elle a été rendue possible grâce à l'initiative d'Irene Trani-Bushnell. C'est elle qui est partie à notre recherche après tant d'années, suite à notre séjour à Bato. C'est elle qui nous a invités pour le 50ième anniversaire de mariage de ses parents. 

J'avais perdu le contact avec Manuel et la population de Bato. Irène, je te remercie du fond du coeur de m'avoir permis de renouveller ces intenses amitiés.

Salamat po! 

En 1981, tu avais 11 ans. Tu étais une jeune fille très curieuse et intelligente. Je me souviens à quel point tu désirais tout savoir de la vie. Lorsque tu m'a téléphoné il y a quelques mois, tu avais mentionné que tu avais gardé le sac que je t'avais donné avant mon départ pour le Canada, et que tu l'avais utilisé pour l'ensemble de ta scolarité. Tu te rappelais même des crayons de couleur que je t'avais donné. Il a été très émouvant d'entendre ta voix me laisser savoir qu'un bref séjour dans ta communauté avait eu un tel impact dans ta vie. Cela m'a touché de réaliser que des gens de l'autre côté de la terre se souvenaient de moi après presque 3 décennies! 

Je suis désolé d'avoir été la première personne de race blanche que la plupart d'entre vous à Bato avez connu. Je ne suis probablement pas le meilleur exemple. Mais une chose est sûre, je suis très heureuse que le contact ait été renouvelé. Je me sens comme si j'étais venu ici pas plus tard qu'hier. 

Revoir Bato, votre famille et Manuel a été un beau cadeau. 

Salamat po Ate Irene! 
Merci Irene, ma soeur!

Elise

5 comments:

  1. Maudite Elise, tu réussis encore à me tirer des larmes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elise,

    Hate to correct you but Irene's new Surname is Bushnell. Irene has lived in Australia for the last 16 years and works for the Australian Government. For those interested Irene is in the centre at the bottom of picture 36 of Elise's pics titled:
    Album_Photo_6_Arrival_in_Baranguay-Bato

    All the best,

    Keith Bushnell (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith! This is André, the brother-in-law who helps Elise maintain her blog. Thank you so much for the precision, and for pointing out Irene's face amidst the family picture. Is the picture I put of Irene the correct one? Do you recognize her face in the 1981 picture of kids on the beach? Can you tell me which little girl she is? You can reply to me directly at andre.renaud (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'est très touchant. Quelle belle initiative de la part d'Irene Trani-Bushnell. Je t'envie, Élise, de vivre une expérience si intense d'amitié et d'humanité!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Keith but in Quebec when a women gets married she does not change name.

    Elise

    ReplyDelete